"When Erin first rose" a poem by William Drennan was where Ireland was first referred to as the Emerald isle.
"When Erin first rose" a poem by William Drennan was where Ireland was first referred to as the Emerald isle. Rightfully so, Ireland is filled with lush vegetation that covers its mountains and plains. An island located in the northwest of Europe, Ireland is divided into two; the Republic of Ireland which covers five-sixths of the island, and Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom, which covers the rest of the island. Because the island covers a total area of 32,595 square miles, there are so many things you can experience and enjoy, and we would like to help you experience the best. Here are the top ten things you can do in Ireland.
- Savor Irish dishes at the English Market in the city of Cork. If you are a foodie, this market will be heaven for you. One of the oldest municipal markets in the world having been established in 1788, it has a number of restaurants, specialty shops, and fresh produce stores.
- Explore the Boyne Valley. Encompassing the counties Meath and Louth, Boyne Valley is a UNESCO World Heritage Site because it is the home to the largest and one of the most important prehistoric megalithic sites in Europe. It is one of Ireland’s most popular tourist destinations.
- Enjoy a unique coffee experience at the Chapter One, located in Dublin. Even if you are not into coffee, you must at least try a cup once, and Chapter One is where your cup of coffee is prepared right in front of you. Watch as the sugar is heat up on flame with whiskey thrown in, and voila, you have one of the best tasting coffees in Ireland.
- View the beauty of Ireland in the Cliffs of Moher. It is about a five mile stretch in Clare County of a height of more than 700 feet. Aside from its spectacular view of the sea and the craggy coastline, you are afforded views of the Aran Islands and Galway Bay.
- Visit Dublin Zoo. Located in the heart of Dublin City, Dublin Zoo features 400 animals from all over the world.
- Join a tour of the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin. Get to know more about Ireland’s favorite drink and brand. Aside from learning about its history and how it is made, your tour ends with a free pint of Guinness at the Gravity Bar located on the 7th floor.
- Hit some golf balls at Druids Glen. A hotel and resort located about 30 minutes from Dublin; Druids Glen Golf course was designed by Tom Craddock and Pat Ruddy, and was the home of the Murphy’s Irish Open from 1996 to 1999. It is also known as the "The “Augusta of Europe”.
- Enjoy outdoor activities at the Dingle Peninsula. Named after the town of Dingle in County Kerry, Dingle Peninsula is where you can enjoy a number of activities including swimming, boat tours, hiking, trekking, horuseback riding, sailing, and dolphin and whale watching.
- Walk through Blarney Castle and gardens. This is where you will find the legendary “Blarney Stone” which you must kiss and supposedly endows the kisser the gift of eloquence. Enjoy a walk in its beautiful garden and the ruins of the castle.
- Book lovers must head to the library of Trinity College in Dublin where thousands of books will meet your eyes. Founded the same time as the University in 1592, it features the 9th Century Book of Kells. It is the largest library in Ireland.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. The Emerald Isle has hundreds of attractions and activities to enjoy that you must indulge in.
Start your trip to Ireland
Let us help you plan your trip
The Only 5-Star Resort in Latin America Gets a $35 Million Reno
It occupies the most prime location in Costa Rica's Guana... more
The 'Road to Happiness' is Exactly the Path We Need to Travel Right Now
Staying at home has not just amplified our need to travel... more
Essential Britain & Ireland
10 days from London to London more
Grand China & the Yangtze
An in-depth exploration of China’s rich history and... more
Colombia and Galapagos Highlights
Capitalize on this exceptional pairing of South America... morefrom $8,635.00 USD per person
Rome & Amalfi Coast Highlights
Discover the charms of Rome and the seductive natural won... morefrom $3,353.00 USD per person