In Northern BC, the Haida Heritage Centre at Ḵay Llnagaay is a cultural jewel on remote Haida Gwaii.
By Anita Draycott
In Northern BC, the Haida Heritage Centre at Ḵay Llnagaay is a cultural jewel on remote Haida Gwaii. Set in Skidegate, and anchored by traditional Haida totem poles, this centre is a stunning showcase of the local Haida culture and traditions, with a focus on the deep connection between the land, the sea and the people who call this place home. Aboriginal language, art and stories are on proud display here, and visitors will glean insight, and even see masters at work, in the Haida Gwaii Museum and the Bill Reid Teaching Centre, the Performance House, Carving Shed and Canoe House. For those who feel peckish, a visit to the centre wouldn’t be complete without a nibble at Ḵay Bistro, where locals dish up crowd favourites that include bison and bacon burgers, albacore tuna, and halibut sandwiches served with taro chips.
Start your trip to British Columbia
Let us help you plan your trip
- Explore The Worlds Most Amazing Destinations
- Saddle up for an Equestrian Adventure with National Geographic
- Six New Intrepid Trips for Solo Travelers
- Uniworld + Butterfield & Robinson Active Travel River Cruises
- Great Deals at Great Heights at North America's Top Mountain Resorts
- All-Inclusive Luxury Cruising the Caribbean on Regent Seven Seas Cruises