The Tianzi Mountain Nature Reserve is located in the northern part of the Wulingyuan Scenic Area in Hunan Province. It takes its name from Xiang Dakun, a man who led a revolution and called himself "Tianzi," which means Son of Heaven. Visitors who climb up the mountain are greeted by many sites with stories about Xiang Dakun and his last battle in the Tianzi Mountain. It is said that he fought a great battle in the Tianzi Mountain until his death when he jumped off a cliff.
Five interesting facts about the Tianzi Mountain Nature Reserve:
- The mountain is named after Xiang Dakun, who is also called Tianzi, which means "Son of Heaven."
- It is about 16,550 acres big.
- The highest peak of the mountain is at 4,140 feet above sea level.
- Visitors can take a 2,084-meter cable car ride to the peak and enjoy beautiful scenery during the climb.
- The climb up the Tianzi Mountain via cable car takes roughly 6 minutes and 44 seconds in temperatures averaging at 12 degrees Celsius.
Despite the cold, however, you would not want to miss the fantasy-like scenery that you will see as you move towards the peak. The mountain provides different scenes during different seasons, all of which are equally beautiful—magical even: the Sea of Clouds, the Radiance of the Moonlight, Rays of Sunshine and the Snow in winter.
Would you like to see the Tianzi Mountain for yourself? Tourist buses regularly depart from Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station. Talk to your travel agent today to book a trip!
Start your trip to Yongzhou, China
Let us help you plan your trip
- Saddle up for an Equestrian Adventure with National Geographic
- Six New Intrepid Trips for Solo Travelers
- Uniworld + Butterfield & Robinson Active Travel River Cruises
- Great Deals at Great Heights at North America's Top Mountain Resorts
- Top 10 Reasons to Travel to Croatia
- All-Inclusive Luxury Cruising the Caribbean on Regent Seven Seas Cruises